Filtering by: Tours
Signature Topiary Display & Map
Jun
1
to Jun 30

Signature Topiary Display & Map

See for Yourself Our One-of-a-Kind "Living" Sculptures in Uptown Greenwood!

Take a magical topiary tour through Uptown Greenwood. You’ll see 46 topiaries displayed around the Square, at the County Library, and at the Farmers Market. The whimsical horticultural creations showcase the Uptown Greenwood area during the SC Festival of Flowers.

Each topiary has been adopted by an organization and is sponsored by a separate organization.  Come see for yourself and stroll our Uptown Square day or night.

Topiaries, Maintenance and Landscaping provided by: City of Greenwood & City Public Works Department Topiary/ School Coordinators and Delivery:  Johnathan Graves, Renea Sprowl,  Ann Barklow, Sarah Bradley, Clint Price, Gene Yarochowicz, and Tracy Anderson. 

Special Thanks: Director of Greenwood Public Works; Billy Allen, CPW, City of Greenwood Public Works Staff: Chase Rushton, Michael Smith, Joey Jamros, Buddy Hastings, Willie Graham, Clay Stevenson, Erek Leary, Jerry Walker, Chris Lewis, Len Bryan, Wayne Starnes, Jeff Smallwood, and James Moore. City of Greenwood Greenhouse Staff:  Renea Sprowl, Gene Yarochowicz, Clint Price, Sarah Bradley, Tracy Anderson, and Ann Barklow, Greenwood County, Lakelands Master Gardeners, and our local Schools. A very special thank you goes to topiary artist, Nancy Collin and her husband Everett for their thousands of volunteer labor with the topiaries for 2017

View Event →
Garden Tours
Jun
8
to Jun 9

Garden Tours

DSC_8930.jpg

Discover Greenwood's most beautiful home gardens and our very own City Garden.

Saturday
10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday
1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Absolutely Free!

The Barklow Wildlife Habitat
110 Ferry Cove Rd
Ann Barklow, Horticulturist for the City of Greenwood along with the assistance of the Lakelands Master Gardeners presents to visitors this garden as a landscape filled with nature.

The garden was originally designed in 2016 by Ann as a Teaching Garden to help homeowners learn how they can provide for nature. This colorful and functional garden incorporates edibles and herbs along with native plants and flowers rich in pollen and nectar from spring through fall and is alive with pollinators including birds, bees, moths, beneficial insects, and butterflies.. 

The landscape is certified with the National Wildlife Federation as a backyard wildlife habitat and with the Xerces Society as a Pollinator Habitat along with Monarch Watch as a Monarch Waystation. Clemson University has also certified this landscape as a Carolina Yard. Ann has a Nesting Box for native bees which provides a hotel for Leaf Cutter and Mason Bees which in turn increases her food production and blooms. 

The back yard has a 25 raised bed vegetable garden bursting with produce as a result of the pollinators she supports. Her philosophy is “Build it and they will come.” Don’t miss this garden and meet some of the smallest yet important residents of our community. 

Park Seed and Ann work together to bring pollinator information on their website blog and film "you tube" videos at her home about useful garden products and pollinators.

Booths include a Monarch Raising Station, and the Lakelands Master Gardeners. Trained Master Gardener Guides will be present to help you with questions.

City of Greenwood Garden
510 West Cambridge Avenue
The idea for a City Garden was originated and developed by the Men’s Garden Club. The land was donated by Greenwood Mills to the City of Greenwood and adopted by the Men’s Garden Club in 1989. The addition of the gazebo, two bridges with hand rails, and two park benches began in 1991. In 1994, a tea-rose garden (made possible by Wayside Gardens) was installed followed by several trees and a large trellis covered with climbing roses.

Although the Men’s Garden Club has since dissolved, several former members and friends of the garden came together as the City Garden Club in 2013 with the singular mission of restoring the garden to its former beauty and building a base of volunteers for its continued maintenance. This year the garden will feature a completely renovated Rose garden and Children’s garden thanks to the support of a wide range of individuals, companies, non-profits, garden clubs and the City of Greenwood. The perennial beds have been “adopted” by individuals and garden clubs who do all the work to maintain their beauty.

One of Greenwood’s most beautiful public places it is often used for such events as weddings, picnics, reunions, photo shoots, and as an attraction for visitors to the Festival of Flowers. This horticultural display provides beauty from early spring through late autumn while educating and entertaining the public.

Premier Sponsors:

Event Sponsors:

View Event →
Jun
9
1:00 PM13:00

Cokesbury College Tour & Ice Cream Social

The Cokesbury College Historical & Recreational Commission, will provide tours of Cokesbury College from 1:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.  Visitors will see all the recent restoration efforts, both inside and outside of the College building.

Commissioners, acting as tour guides, will discuss the Commission’s short and long-range plans for enhancing access to and community use of the College and grounds.  In addition, Commissioners will discuss planned restoration of other elements of the Cokesbury Community, including the Chapel and the original General Store and Post Office buildings which are located across the street from the College.

Cokesbury College was built in 1854 and opened as one of the earliest Masonic Female Collegiate Institutes in the rural southeast.  Cokesbury College is the centerpiece of the original 19th century utopian Cokesbury Community.  The College building and grounds are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and are maintained and managed by the Cokesbury College Historical and Recreational Commission.

Historic Cokesbury College
Although Cokesbury feels a bit “off the beaten path” today, it was once one of the most prominent communities in the upper part of South Carolina. At its peak, it was a thriving hub of education for the entire state, and many influential South Carolinians called it home. From Tabernacle to Cokesbury The story of Cokesbury began when visionaries in the Tabernacle Community decided to build a new school. After much deliberation, a public meeting was held on July 4, 1824 to promote the idea of develop-ing a new village around the new school’s location. The name of the new village: Mount Ariel.

View Event →
Bee Buzzin' Bike Tour
Jun
22
8:00 AM08:00

Bee Buzzin' Bike Tour

Join us for one of the most popular summer events in South Carolina - our Bee Buzzin' Bike Tour 2019!

2018 Bee Buzzin Logo.png

$40 after June 13 to the day of ride

T-shirts and lunch at Uptown Market guaranteed to pre-registrants only.

Registration and Packet pick-up the morning of the event starting at 7 AM.

ROUTE: This ride takes you through the scenic roads of Greenwood County. Rain or shine, the ride is flat to rolling hills. There will be a 55 mile, 30 mile and 20 mile loop. SAG Support provided.

Your ride ends with lunch and beverages at Uptown Market in Uptown Greenwood.

MAPS & CUE SHEETS

55 Mile Loop Map

55 Mile Loop Cue Sheet

30 Mile Loop Map

30 Mile Loop Cue Sheet

20 Mile Loop Map

20 Mile Cue Sheet

Premier Sponsors:

Modeling Last Year's T-shirt: Our hardworking Interns: Austin Hough and Brayden Stevens.

Modeling Last Year's T-shirt: Our hardworking Interns: Austin Hough and Brayden Stevens.

View Event →

Greenwood Historic Churches Tour
Jun
3
1:30 PM13:30

Greenwood Historic Churches Tour

churchgirls.jpg

Discover Greenwood's most beautiful and historical churches.

Sunday
1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Absolutely Free!

The tour of historic churches in and around Greenwood is back! Churches on this year's tour are rich in history. One building dates back to 1860, another to 1890. You'll find a hand crafted wooden Communion Table in the shape of the cross which is the only one of its kind in South Carolina. You will see how stained glass windows tell stories from the Bible in unique ways. The craftsmanship in many of the sanctuaries and facilities is tremendous and adds uniqueness to each church. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon! 

Mountain Creek Baptist Church
108 Mountain Creek Road
Kirksey Community
Mountain Creek Baptist Church was established in 1798 and still occupies the third building
which was built in the 1890's. There have been only minor changes to the sanctuary in the past 150 years, and everyone who sees it for the first time are in awe of the feeling of simplicity and reverence.

Tranquil United Methodist Church
1702 McCormick Highway
Greenwood
Tranquil United Methodist Church was begun about 1820, under a brush arbor.  The first structure was a plain log house replaced later by a frame structure.  The present sanctuary was build in 1971. Tranquil has been called the birthplace of Greenwood Methodism.  We are known for our flags.  On patriotic holidays our drive is lined with over a hundred large American flags.  Our goal through the years has been to share the peace and love of Christ.

Rock Presbyterian Church
122 Rock Church Rd NW
Greenwood
First known as Rocky Creek Presbyterian Church, Rock Presbyterian Church as we know it today, was formed by missionary ministers from the Synod of New York and Philadelphia in 1770. Rock Presbyterian is known as the “Mother of Churches” as it had help start and organize churches in Ninety Six, Greenwood (First Presbyterian), Cokesbury and Coronaca. On the present grounds, the first house of worship was built of logs and used a broad flat- rock as a foundation and floor. This log church was replaced by a larger clapboard sided structure in 1815 and served as the sanctuary and classrooms until it tragically burned to the ground in 1959. Services were held in the old Quarry School, acquired earlier, until the present sanctuary was dedicated in 1959.

Ninety Six Presbyterian Church
120 Cambridge St North
Ninety Six    
There have been three Ninety Six Presbyterian Churches in Ninety Six, dating back to 1774. The present church, the third location, was built in 1860 as a frame building. Following a tornado in 1944, with much structural damage, the building was repaired and brick veneer added.

First Baptist Church
722 Grace Street
Greenwood
The sanctuary of Greenwood First Baptist Church is noteable for both its beauty and its thoughtful design. The focal point of the sanctuary is clearly the large cross which hangs over the divided chancel. The gallery (balcony) features a smaller but more ornate Celtic cross, insuring that worshippers can see the cross from anywhere in the sanctuary. The hand-crafted wooden Communion Table, also in the shape of the cross, is the only one of its kind in South Carolina.

First Presbyterian Church
108 W Cambridge Ave
Greenwood
First Presbyterian Church first met in the Presbyterian High School Building in Greenwood in 1850. As the population grew in Greenwood, the congregation did as well. In 1899 the building now used as a fellowship hall was build, followed by the education wing in 1924. A tour of these buildings on the same floor would show the original stained glass windows, Wood ceiling and intricate woodwork.

ChurchesGreenwood

Main Street United Methodist Church
211 Main St North
GreenwoodThe year 2018 is a significant year in the history of Main Street United Methodist Church
because it will celebrate the 100th year of worshiping in its Sanctuary. The first worship service was held on November 16, 1918. The celebration will take place November 11th with Bishop Jonathan Holstein conducting the service in the format of the original service.

Founded in 1858, this historic church saw several different early structures before building its current Sanctuary with its huge stained glass window of Jesus questioning the Rabbis in the Jerusalem Temple when he was 12.

Connie Maxwell Baptist Church
215 Terrell Smith Ave
Greenwood    
The original frame structure used for a church on the campus of Connie Maxwell Children’s Home was built in 1893 to primarily house the Connie Maxwell School. After the 1962 decision of the Board of Trustees to relocate the church building, groundbreaking exercises were held October 11, 1964. The cornerstone was laid July 11, 1965. The first service was held on May 22, 1966, the 74th anniversary of Connie Maxwell Children’s Home. The ten  nave faceted stained glass windows, the highlight of the current church’s beauty, are a gift of the alumni.

The Church of the Resurrection Episcopal
700 Main St South
Greenwood
Our church was built in 1935 and is the third church building used by Resurrection in Greenwood. It was designed by noted Greenwood architect James Hemphill, who designed homes, schools, and other public buildings across the Carolinas. He used the Church of the Cross in Stateburg as his inspiration. The church is a simple neo-Gothic structure with thick masonry walls and hammer beam trusses. It seats 180 persons. The newest improvement to it is a Marshall and Ogletree digital organ. The parish has about 450 members and lively ministry.  

 

 
View Event →
Jazz Brunch and Tour, The Railroad Historical Center
Jun
3
11:00 AM11:00

Jazz Brunch and Tour, The Railroad Historical Center

ShowImage.png

Join us for this New Orleans Style Jazz Brunch at The Railroad Historical Center.

We will be serving a delicious brunch in a historic 1924 dining car with Jazz music from an era gone by playing, what could be finer? Enjoy a complimentary Mimosa too!

Live music by:
Steve G and the Juniors
Buffet Brunch by:
Old Main Catering
Tickets: $50
Proceeds go to the Railroad Historical Center.

Tour the seven historic train cars, stroll through the beautiful gardens and enjoy the newly completed deck. We even have a new lift for easy access to the train cars.

For tickets and more information, call (864) 229-7093.

Railroad Center Dining Car
View Event →